Conditional Use Permit Application and Process
Conditional Use Permits for Non-Solar and Non-Utility Businesses have a $400 application fee. The application must be submitted a minimum of thirty (30) days prior to the next regularly scheduled Planning Commission meeting. The application can be accessed below through the embedded link below:
Conditional Use Permit Application for Non-Solar and Non-Utility Businesses
Conditional Use Permits for Wireless Telecommunication Facilities have a $2,500 application fee and the applicant is responsible for the reimbursement of costs incurred (postage, advertising, legal fees, third-party review fees, etc.). At this time, an application specific to Wireless Telecommunication Facilities is not available. Once the amendment to the Lunenburg County Wireless Telecommunication Facility Ordinance has been adopted by the Board of Supervisors, then a Wireless Telecommunication Facility Conditional Use Permit application will be available. Until such application is available, please utilize the application for Solar and Utilities.
Conditional Use Permits for Solar and Utilities have a $5,000 application fee and the applicant is responsible for the reimbursement of costs incurred (postage, advertising, legal fees, third-party review fees, etc.). See the Lunenburg Solar Facilities Ordinance enacted September 9, 2021 for the specifics on the documents required to be submitted (Lunenburg Solar Facilities Ordinance Enacted September 9th, 2021). The application must be submitted a minimum of forty-five (45) days prior to the next regularly scheduled Planning Commission meeting. A solar or utility application is required to submit ten (10) hard-copies and one (1) electronic copy. The application can be accessed through the embedded link below:
Conditional Use Permit Application for Solar and Utilities
Access to Resources Required to Complete Sections 2, 3 and 4 of the Conditional Use Permit Application
All applications are required to note the adjoining property owners in the application, as well as, provide them with a letter of the intent to apply for a Conditional Use Permit (template letter in the application). Adjoining property owners are classified as those directly touching the project parcel, across the roadway, across waterways, and any that could be impacted by the proposed use. Access to the identification of adjoining property owners can be assessed through the following link: County Tax Map/GIS.
All application are required to answer the questions pertaining to the proposed use in relation to the Lunenburg-Kenbridge-Victoria Joint Comprehensive Plan 2019-2024. The plan can be accessed through the following link: Lunenburg-Kenbridge-Victoria Joint Comprehensive Plan 2019-2024.
1. Completed Conditional Use Permit Application with proof of adjoining property owner notification, notarized form pertaining to adjacent property owner notification, all sections of the application completed, etc.
2. Recent survey of the property showing property boundaries, dwellings, roadways, etc. (if there are proposed additions-structures, features, parking, etc., sketch those on the survey)
3. Conditional Use Permit Application fee (Check made out to "County of Lunenburg" or cash only)
4. Site Plans, if applicable
5. Approval from Neighbors, if applicable
The application should be submitted to the Lunenburg County Administration Office, 11413 Courthouse Road, Lunenburg, VA 23952. Those that are required to provide an electronic version of the application as well, can submit it to Taylor N. King, Director of Planning and Economic Development, via email: email@example.com.
**All applications are subject to review by the Department of Planning and/or third-party consultant. If the application is deemed incomplete, a notice will be provided to the applicant of the revisions required to be made for the application to be deemed complete. Should the application require revisions, the revisions should be submitted at least thirty (30) business days (Non-Solar and Non-Utility Applications) and forty-five (45) business days (Solar and Utility Applications).**
Process of Conditional Use Permit Application
1. Application submission (based on the time frames for submission listed above)
2. Internal and external (if necessary) review
3. Notice of deficiencies provided to the applicant, if necessary. If no deficiencies are noted, then the application can proceed.
- If the review notes deficiencies then the application will be required to be revised and submitted within the time frames listed above.
4. If the application is deemed complete and can proceed, then a Staff Report will be generated, which note the specific conditions that the applicant will be required to abide by if the Conditional Use Permit is approved. The Conditional Use Permit Public Hearing and/or the 2232 Hearing at the Planning Commission level will be advertised and certified letters will be sent to adjoining property owners.
5. The Planning Commission will hold a Public Hearing at its regularly scheduled meeting.
- 2232 Public Hearing will allow the public to provide input and the Planning Commission will determine if the proposed use is in "Substantial Accord" or "Not in Substantial Accord" with the Lunenburg-
Kenbridge-Victoria Joint Comprehensive Plan 2019-2024. If the proposed use is determined in "Substantial Accord", then the next step would be to proceed with the Conditional Use Permit Public
Hearing (see below). The 2232 and Conditional Use Permit Public Hearing will not be heard at the same meeting.
- Conditional Use Permit Public Hearing will all the public to provide input to the Planning Commission to determine if the proposed use will be recommended for approval to the Board of Supervisors,
recommended for denial to the Board of Supervisors, or deferred for decision.
- If the desire of the Planning Commission is to defer the recommendation, the Commissioners are required to state the reason for deferral and when the application will be heard next.
6. The month following the Planning Commission meeting, a Public Hearing will be held at the Board of Supervisors' level. The public will be provided the opportunity to provide their input on the proposed project. The Board of Supervisors will have the recommendation of the Planning Commission. The Board of Supervisors will have the option to approve the Conditional Use Permit, deny the Conditional Use Permit, refer the Conditional Use Permit application back to the Planning Commission for further review or defer a decision on the Conditional Use Permit.
- If the Board of Supervisors decide to defer the decision, they will be required to state the reason as to why the application is being deferred and the next meeting where the Conditional Use Permit will
- If the Conditional Use Permit is approved, then a resolution with the required conditions (Siting Agreement, if necessary) will be signed by the Chairman of the Board of Supervisors. Subsequently, the
the applicant will receive a copy in the mail, which certifies that they are able to operate/proceed with the proposed use.
- If the Conditional Use Permit is denied, then the applicant cannot be considered again by the Board of Supervisors within one (1)
year from the date of denial.
- Appeals from any decision of the Board of Supervisors regarding a Conditional Use Permit may be taken to the Circuit Court of
of Lunenburg County by an aggrieved party in accordance with the provisions of the Code of Virginia, § 15.2-2285
** An application that is submitted and deemed complete upon original submission can be proceed through the entire Conditional Use Permit process in a minimum of three (3) months to four (4) months; however that is subject to the application being deemed complete at the time of the original submission.**
If you need further information or clarifications, please contact Taylor N. King.